Friday, March 8, 2013

Overwinter Stuff

March 8th, 2013

Over winter things slow down at Airyriperakes.  In early January I made some bee candy and put it on top of the frames in my two remaining hives.  I also mowed 4 acres (roughly) and broadcast my seed mix.  I hope I timed it right.  We were expecting moisture on the very Saturday I put down the seed, which is why I was at the farm before dawn.  That particular front never materialized but we've received some nice rain and snow since then.  I am really looking forward to the bloom, which will be very visible from the road and from the farm house on the east side of the pond.  Needless to say we won't be haying that meadow again.  In the picture below the wildflower field is beyond the old barn and grain bin.

Ramona and I decided that we will extract our honey tomorrow.  I'll take vacation today and get everything ready for the extraction.  I'll also make a batch of sugar water and start spring feeding today.  Ramona spent the last two days deep cleaning the kitchen.  Now that is a labor of love (for honey).

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like there is more work in honey production than I ever thought there was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting stuff! Can't wait to hear how much you collect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait! I estimate that we have 40 or 50 lbs to extract. I intend to video the process and post them to the blog.

    ReplyDelete