Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wow! The bees are having a hard time of it!

I ordered two packages of bees for this spring and expected them to arrive Saturday morning the 20th. This isn't going to happen now. My shipment, along with hundreds of other colonies, died en route due to a snow storm in Wyoming this week. This is terrible! Our local suppliers still have my deposit and they are trying desperately to fulfill the orders. I really don't know how many colonies were affected but it could number in the thousands. Our local distributor picks up about 150 or so for local beekeepers in South Central Kansas. And he is just one of many distributors that pick up bees in Nebraska after the trek from California.

In the meantime I found two sources for direct delivery through UPS but I am not sure I want to pay the premium. But time is running out and I will need to make a decision soon. This just reinforces my need to have a completely sustainable apiary and produce my own colony increases. I just need to bite the bullet, study up, and learn how.

No comments:

Post a Comment