Saturday, September 8, 2012

A guy's gotta have some fun!

Monday September 3, 2012


I could hear the vehicle approaching from 1/2 mile away.  Fully expecting a large pickup with dual wheels and a huge power stroke diesel engine, I had just walked to the front gate to push it wider when a recent model, souped up Mustang GT with big rims and low profile tires showed up.  From inside the vehicle I heard "'r you Eric"?  I fully expected a young kid behind the wheel of this hot rod.  Instead, his appearance was predictable but his mode of transportation wasn't.  He was a long skinny man, maybe a little older than me, with well worn wranglers and a button up work shirt that had the look of someone who spent a lot of time in the sun doing hot, sweaty work.  After inspecting the 'stang a little more closely I noticed the usual signs of it's being a country car, something that has seen a lot of travel on gravel roads.  "That's not what I expected you to show up in," I declared as he climbed out.  He responded, "a guy's got to have some fun, sometime."  The next day, being Labor Day, he arrived in his usual work attire but with an entirely different toy.  This time it was an eighteen wheeler with a large John Deere dozer on a low-boy trailer.  And I was sitting there thinking, which would be more fun "operating a large earth mover or driving a mustang GT"?  It's too close to call.

He finished the spillway and the pond dig-out in less than two days.  Just in time for the fall and winter precipitation.

2 comments:

  1. Now all you need are some fish! and water...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ramona is anxious for me to bait the hooks and clean the fish she catches.

    ReplyDelete